January 15, 2012

The First of Many...

Hello Friends,


This is my first post here at "A Little Ditty." The site recieved its name only by mistake. I've been teaching for three years now and last year I made the swith from second to sixth grade. (Yikes!) Turns out, nothing to fear! I never imagined such a close relationship with a group of 11 and 12 year olds, but boy did they turn my world around, in a good way!


We worked on gender based class and those girls... 24 sixth grade girls, what some may see as the stuff nightmares are made of, but it was h-e-a-v-e-n! The word "ditty" quickly caught on! In class the ladies used this very odd mix of a british/high-pitched accent. It stuck! I found myself telling them directions in this same voice! We had a blast and everything was a 'ditty' When will we go to lunch? In a ditty. Where should I put my notebook? In that ditty. Bye kids, I love you, have a ditty of a night!


That 'ditty' of a year changed the way I'll see teaching forever. It was blessing to get to know those students so very well. I hope I can have that kind of relationships with my students each year.


What do you do to get to know or form better relationships with your students?

No comments:

Post a Comment